Sunday, July 1, 2007

Color Tests and Production Photos

Here are some color tests I did awhile ago in order to see how these characters might look in the final version. I'll be attempting to approach the scanning/coloring process in a way that will maintain the rough quality of the drawings, which are essentially cleaned-up right on top of the blue-pencil roughs. The result, which I like, is that of the Xerox look common to films like Winnie the Pooh where you can see the odd construction lines dance around, just like real drawings.







Here's me animating Nigel back in 2003 in our first one-bedroom apartment before my wife Janet & I moved into our current place. He was set up on a TV table between our computer desk and dining room table...rather cramped corners in those days!



And here are some photos of one of my scenes drying out after somehow getting wet...I don't remember how it happened.



2 comments:

David said...

"the Xerox look common to films like Winnie the Pooh where you can see the odd construction lines dance around, just like real drawings. "

I love that look, too.

One of my favorite ways of working used to be animating directly on cels with a grease pencil, either the Kohinoor KOH-in-All or Kohinoor Projecto-Color or the Mars Omnichrom.
They stopped making the Kohinoor grease pencils many years ago , but I think maybe the Mars Omnichrom is still around (?) . The Omnichrom was never as good a pencil as the ones from Kohinoor. (the Omnichrom grease pencils tended to break or crumble too easily if you got a bad batch of them... quality control was not good) I think there's still one around called the All-Stabilo which is also hit-or-miss in terms of the quality . But who draws on cels or rather paints cels anymore ? I miss drawing on cels, but I don't miss painting cels ! I picked that technique up from Borge Ring and also from one of my teachers at Sheridan, John Kratovil , who had been an animator at Dick Williams' Studio in London. Dick Williams was wild about that technique of using grease pencils directly on cel and everyone who worked for him learned that technique. Borge Ring's film "Anna & Bella" has that beautiful grease pencil on cel line quality . It was a good technique because it duplicated the same sort of sketchy "Xerox" line look of the later Disney pictures, but with none of the drawbacks of Xerox (registration problems, lines dropping out too much, chemical poisoning from the xerox toner) .

David said...

Ken,

I know you're probably familiar with Borge Ring's "Anna & Bella" , but for anyone else who happens to read my comment above and isn't familiar with it, here's the link :

"Anna & Bella"

(It's on YouTube, so of course subject to "disappearing" at any time).

The drawings were done on cels with grease pencil.